What we do
Vital work to ensure our food security
The Wheen Bee Foundation supports research projects and activities aimed at keeping honey bees healthy. Working with all levels of government, the apiculture industry, bee-reliant food industries, universities, research organisations and community, we fund vital strategic research and education initiatives that strengthen honey bees, improve pollination efficiency and increase food security.
Donations to the Foundation help finance various research and activities including:
- Investigations of the biology and behaviour of pests such as Varroa mite and small hive beetle
- Research into a wide range of bee diseases caused by viruses, bacteria and fungi
- Dissemination of information to beekeepers and the public about biosecurity and best practices in beekeeping
- Stock improvement programs for honey bee resistance or tolerance to pests and diseases
- Issues affecting the viability of the beekeeping industry that also affect bee health, such as access to good pollen and nectar sources.
You can read more about our specific research projects here.